Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

"Texans Love Lentil Soup"

In the summer of 2005 I was in Spain studying at El Universidad de Salamanca.  If you have not been to Salamanca, I highly recommend you take some time out of your life to visit.  The school is beautiful, the Spaniards are polite, the culture is rich and history is still playing out.

Salamanca is located between Madrid and the Portugal border.  It is where I learned that I speak "Mexican Spanish," I don't care for Spanish cuisine and that "Texans love lentil soup."  Yes, one day my host family mom, Ellie, made lentil soup for me and my friend Ashley (also a Texan).  We devoured two bowls each.  We were so hungry.  The Spanish eat at much later hours than Americans do.  Ellie, my Spanish host mom, said every time she has Texans in her house, they all  love lentil soup! 

I had never tried to make lentil soup.  It's not something my mom ever made for us...she's not really a soup kind of person.  I take after my father in that department.  But I had the soup in Spain (obviously) and few places growing up in Texas (I think a friend's home and at restaurants).  All I know is that I liked it and one day would aim to attempt to make it myself. 

Well my friends, that time has come!  Get excited!  Yes, and again, I tried to follow a recipe and I failed and I Mexicanfied it.  Yes, I typed Mexican-fied (add it to your dictionary) cause it's going to be around.  So this is what happened on Sunday...

Sarith's Mexicanfied Lentil Soup

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 1/3 cups water
2 1/3 cups dried lentils
1 box + 1 can of chicken broth
1 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes, undrained
1/2 small green bell pepper (whole for flavor)
1/2 Caldo de Pollo (chicken bullion cube)
1 cup chopped carrots
Goat Cheese
Tomatoes
Cilantro

Preparation
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add the onion; saute for 3 minutes or until tender.  Add the next six ingredients (cumin to garlic cloves); saute for 1 minute.  Add water and next
six ingredients (water - Caldo de Pollo) reserving the 1 can of chicken broth for later and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour.  At 40 minutes, add carrots and continue to simmer.

Place 2 cups of lentil mixture in blender; process until smooth.  Pour pureed soup back into lentil soup.  Garnish with goat cheese, tomatoes and cilantro, if desired.  Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious. But I can't believe you posted a recipe using BELL PEPPER after years of picking them out of your food!

    ReplyDelete