Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Francie's version of Easy Meatloaf

Francie's version of Easy Meatloaf


I hated meatloaf growing up. Admittedly I am currently a picky eater but as a child I was worse. There is just something about slicing meatloaf that has always bothered me. So I don't know why I decided to try my hand a making meatloaf, other than I happened to have the majority of all of the ingredients on hand for the Janet's Easy Meatloaf recipe from Allrecipes.com that I had adapted to my tastes based on it's reviews. I love the flavor that the crushed up Cheese-Its. the Worcestershire sauce and the sautéed in butter garlic and onions add to the original recipe.  

My Dad is so proud of his meatloaf that has oatmeal instead of crackers in it. The rest of the family isn't as enthusiastic over that recipe. So last Christmas I was recruited to make mine instead because Daddy doesn't fuss when I cook. Though I thought he might start after he found out the meatloaf he had seconds of had Cheese-Its in it.
 
One of my personal quirks is that I don't like touching raw meat unless there is no other option. So I used a serving spoon to separate the portions and discovered it made perfect oval mini-meatloaves that I then smothered in the sauce.

I have also seen some people use a muffin pan to make individual meatloaves but it still sits it it's own grease. So I strongly prefer and appreciate how elevating the meatloaves allows the fat to drain away from the food. It doesn't necessarily make it healthy but it does make it slightly healthier.  
 
The mini-meatloaves make perfect single portions. Thus making them easy to plate for a meal, to give away to friends and neighbors or to freeze for future use. I have found it is an easy comfort food to make and share.
 
I recommend serving with mashed potatoes but really any vegetable works with a meatloaf.
 
Francie's version of Easy Meatloaf

Ingredients:
  The Meatloaf
     1 1/2 pounds ground beef (or you can use the meatloaf mixture of meats the grocery store sells all ready mixed together and prepackaged)
     1 egg
     1 onion, chopped
     2 cloves of garlic, minced (I normally use up to 3 cloves but I love garlic)
     1 cup milk (I typically use 2% or occasionally I will use low-fat buttermilk if I happen to have some on hand)
     1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
     1 cup white cheddar cheese-its, crushed
     salt and pepper to taste
  The Sauce
     4 tablespoons brown sugar
     4 tablespoons prepared mustard
     2/3 cup ketchup
     dashes of Worcestershire sauce to taste if you find the sauce too sweet

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Line a cookie sheet with sides with Aluminum Foil. Cover a cooling rack with Aluminum Foil, place the Aluminum Foil covered cooling rack onto the Aluminum Foil lined cookie sheet and poke enough holes in the Aluminum Foil covered cooling rack to allow the fat to drain away from the meatloaf when it is baking.  (You can also give it a spritz of non-stick cooking spray if you want to do so.)
3. Sauté the onions and garlic in a little butter for a few minutes until the onions softened and become translucent.
4. In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, the sautéed onions/garlic, milk, Worcestershire sauce and the crushed white cheddar cheese-its. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide the meat mixture into 6 portions, place the 6 portions onto the prepared cooling rack and form the 6 portions into mini-loaves. (I use a large silicone cooking spoon so I don't have to touch the meat and the spoon provides a uniform oval shape.)
5. In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. (Mix well and pour over the meatloaves.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

You could sneak additional veggies by sautéing diced green peppers and celery to the onions and garlic. I also saw where reviewers added veggies such as mushrooms, finely shredded carrots, squash, etc. to the meatloaf mixture. But I'm not sure how that would impact the cooking time and flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment