Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Gan Gan's Cream Cheese Mints

Gan Gan was my Mom's mom. I loved her like crazy. She was spunky, and kind, and absolutely hilarious. As a little girl, I loved spending time with "Gan Gan." I didn't get the chance to know her as an adult (she passed away when I was in middle school). She didn't cook very much (that I remember), but it was always fun to help her in the kitchen! (As a side note, I found out recently that she was also adopted...and her adoption story is SO interesting!)

When I was trying to decide what recipe to post, I looked through a few that she had passed down - Chocolate Pie, Lemon Pie, Bourbon Balls (interesting). But I landed on Cream Cheese Mints.

These are kind of old-fashioned. Not something I really make very often - in fact I've only made them once or twice as an adult. Though I do remember having them at "teas" and "luncheons" and other various fancy parties when growing up.

They are basically mint-flavored icing candies. Yum. Super simple. A few ingredients (some of which you can leave out - namely food color). These are really fun for small kids to help with - because it's kind of like working with play dough and there are no sharp or hot objects involved. Enjoy!

Gan Gan's Cream Cheese Mints

yield 6-7 dozen

Ingredients

  • 3 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 tsp. liquid peppermint flavoring
  • 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • food color (optional)
  • granulated sugar for decoration

Mix 1 package cream cheese (softened) with 1/2 tsp. peppermint flavoring. Gradually add 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Knead until no longer sticky. Divide into 4 portions and add food coloring of your choice to each (optional).

Shape into 3/4" balls and roll in sugar. Flatten with a fork to create a pattern. Let dry at room temperature.

Store loosely covered in the refrigerator.


PS - I didn't have time to take pictures this month (sorry!). And yes - It's August 7 and I'm just now posting for July. Can you say slacker?!? I will try to be better next month! I did post a couple of other non-grandmother recipes over on my photography blog...watermelon sorbet & my favorite popsicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment