Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

The Classic Egg Sandwich

Every so often, the husband and I will eat breakfast for dinner.  He loves breakfast.  I on the other hand, often feel guilty after eating bacon, pancakes, waffles and other delectable breakfast foods.  One of our go-to healthier breakfast foods is the Egg Sandwich.  The husband requests this entree at least once a month.  Here is my version of the easy making and eating meal.

Ingredients:

Sandwich Bread: I used a sourdough bread, but you can use any bread that suites your taste buds.

Eggs: To try to be a little healthier, we often use more egg whites than whole eggs.  In this recipe I used 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs.  I recommend a 1 egg/2 egg white ratio per person. To prep your eggs, whisk eggs in a bowl and add a splash or water or milk to help fluff your eggs.  Salt and pepper.

Fun Ingredients: You can add anything you want here.  I had some tomatoes I had to use so this is how I prepared them in advance of preparing my eggs...Slice tomatoes and add a pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin.  Roast the tomatoes under the broiler to desired preference.  I like my tomatoes a little shriveled up and and concentrated so I broiled mine for about 4 to 5 minutes.  

Egg Sandwich Instructions:

First prepare bread by toasting in the pan.  I add a little bit of margarine to the pan, let the pan get hot, add my bread slices and let them toast on both sides by flipping the bread about 2 to 3 minutes.

I'm lazy and don't like washing too many pots and pans so after my bread has been toasted, I prep the same pan for cooking the eggs.  I add some more margarine and cook my eggs slowly on a low/medium heat stirring the eggs about every 20 seconds so the eggs will be chunky and slightly wet.

After your eggs are cooked, your toast is toasted and your sides are prepared you are ready to assemble your sandwich.  Assemble and enjoy! 


3 comments:

  1. I recognize those plates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know that is your plate and not his due to the presence of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, my sandwich! The Husband ate his plain :) The tomatoes were soooo good!

    ReplyDelete