Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My Version of Grandma America's Pasta Salad

My Grandmother, America Zamora, is a great and well known cook.  For as long as I can remember, my grandmother has been catering weddings, community events and for relatives.  I love my grandmother's food.  Every time I go home, Grandma always makes us something special for our reunion.  I decided to blog on one of her well known dishes, her macaroni salad.  However, I decided to add my twist to the recipe since I can't eat her recipe anymore because it is founded in cream cheese and cheddar cheese.  No can do.  I've been wanted to try this for a while so here you go.

Sarith's Spin on Grandma America's Pasta Salad

Ingredients For Pasta:
Pasta - 1 to 2 cups uncooked pasta
1.5 cups marinated artichoke hearts
1 cup kalamata olives
1/4 cup capers
1 to 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
1 handful of chopped cucumber
Optional: 1/2 cup water chestnuts to add some crunch. And feta or goat cheese to taste if you can handle it :)

Ingredients for Sauce:
1 tablespoon mayo
2 tablespoons fat free greek yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
1 tablespoon dill
dash of salt and pepper
dash of hot sauce

Note: feel free to add more of each ingredient as you like.  I tend to prefer a stronger flavor.

Instructions:
Boil pasta according to package.  Chop the remaining ingredients into bit size pieces.  After the pasta has boiled drain and rink in cool water.  Add remaining ingredients and sauce (see sauce directions below) and mix well.  Eat immediately or serve chilled.

Sauce Instructions:
Chop and mix all ingredients very well then add to pasta.

Enjoy!

In honor of my lovely Grandmother America who turned 88 years young on July 23, 2013!  Love you Grandma!



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful photo! And the recipe looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete