Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Asparagus Lemon Pasta with Goat Cheese and Radishes

Hi, ladies! I'm excited to start blogging with all of you - - though I wish we could just have dinner together instead. This will have to do for now! xoxo EDB

###

Confession: I'm really weird about pasta. I love fresh pasta - - but only when someone else (like Mary Clark) makes it. I tried to make it from scratch once, just for curiosity's sake. It tasted fine, but since I don't have a pasta maker, it was incredibly labor intensive. After squeezing the egg yolks into a floury mess between my fingers and rolling it out as thinly as I could with my rolling pin (not very), I gave up trying to cut it into straight lines by hand and ended up with boiled dough squiggles instead of noodles. It took forever. When I remembered that prettier, perfectly shaped pasta costs roughly $1 per box, I vowed never to do it again.

To make matters worse, the only kind of pasta that I like from a box is whole wheat penne. Why? I have no idea. I especially dislike spaghetti noodles; I don't think I've ever voluntarily purchased a box. They're just . . . I don't know . . . odd. It's not rational. But please don't ever make me eat spaghetti. I mean, I will eat it and smile if you serve it to me, but I will secretly gag the whole time.

Anyway . . . things I DO enjoy: lemon, asparagus, mushrooms, and goat cheese. And summertime radishes. So here's a recipe that has them all! I added the radishes at the last minute because 1) I had them on hand, 2) I assume they contain some kind of worthwhile vitamin or mineral,  3) they're pretty, and 4) I was really curious about what would happen if I cooked them in butter. The answer is that they turn pale and lose their zing. It's kind of sad, actually. But guess what? As soon as you sprinkle lemon juice on them, their color returns. Interesting, right? If I ever make this again, I'll probably wait until the last minute and toss them in while they're still firm and flavorful.

I started by reading this recipe over at Smitten Kitchen and adapting it for my preferences (no tarragon, more lemon, no spiral-shaped pasta). It's not a perfect recipe. Feel free to improvise!



Asparagus Lemon Pasta with Goat Cheese and Radishes

Ingredients:
1/2 box pasta (your choice)
butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, diced
1/2 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 in. pieces
5-10 radishes, sliced
zest of 1 lemon (or less, to taste)
juice of 1 lemon, split
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2-3 oz. goat cheese
Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 T butter 

Instructions:
1) Boil pasta according to package directions.

2) While pasta is boiling, melt 1T butter over medium heat in small pan with fitted lid. Add mushrooms. Stir until mushrooms are coated, then cover with lid and let cook over med-low heat until soft (~8 minutes).

3) Meanwhile, in large skillet, melt 1T butter over medium heat. Add garlic until fragrant (30 seconds) and shallots until soft (1 minute). Add asparagus and radishes (or wait to add the radishes until the last minute if you like them firm and peppery), cook until tender but still firm (um, 5-7 minutes?). Add lemon zest, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Add 1/2 lemon juice and stir.

4) Drain boiled pasta and return (warm) to pot. Add goat cheese and remaining lemon juice, stir until cheese is melted and pasta is coated.   Add vegetables and serve.

Serves: 2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment